Child Support

Tucson Child Support Lawyer

Child Support in Arizona

Whether it is a divorce with minor children or a paternity case, the courts will require the parties to address the issue of child support. Even after a child support order has been issued, child support can also be modified if there has been a significant change in circumstances. It is important to remember that a child support order will never automatically terminate once the child reaches adult age.

There are times when a deviation to paying zero amount of child support may be appropriate and reasonable. In all other instances, a child support calculation will be done to determine who will pay and the amount that will be paid. The child support calculation is based on the amount of parenting time that is being practiced by each parent and the amount of income each parent makes. Income is based on standard paycheck wages, bonuses, commission payments, overtime, disability payments, social security income, income from rental properties, and income from intellectual property such as royalties. Even in situations where a spouse is unemployed the court can attribute wages to them that they are capable of earning based on their past jobs, education, and past earnings, among other factors, to calculate child support.

Arizona courts follow specific child support guidelines to determine the child support amount. These guidelines are based on the following:

  • Whether the child has financial resources and/or needs
  • The financial resources and debts of both parents
  • The standard of living the children were enjoying at the time before the marriage dissolved
  • Any medical, education, or mental health needs of the child
  • Whether any jointly held property had been destroyed, concealed, fraudulently disposed of, or whether any excessive expenditures were made
  • The parenting time exercised by each parent and any related expenses

If you live in the Tucson area and are considering divorce, a paternity judgment, or a modification of child support, you can request a free and confidential case assessment by calling us at 520.314.4125 or contacting us online.